Friday, September 24, 2010

Hot August Nights


A new life in a new country comes with many new adventures.  To beat the hot holiday heat that is the UAE in August, families flock to the indoor amusement park at the Mall of the Emirates.  Our family smashed up some bumper cars.  Your swipe style debit card allows you access to any ride or game.


Bella played "Smash a Shark" which is the "Whack a Mole" knock off.  Depending on your score, you earn tickets which can earn you prizes.  Your standard town fair type of atmosphere, all on the second floor of the mall.  Shooting hoops can earn tickets too.


In the last ten seconds, your buckets count as threes.  I was raining, backpack and all.  Tickets would not stop flowing from the machine when I set the day's highest total.  I was of course the third shooter.


Rosie earned tickets filling and popping water balloons.  Her game face says all you need to know about how serious the girls take their prize tickets.




Hundreds of tickets earned us the glow when they bounce, ironically named Porq Balls.

They still get thrown about the villa and glow-blink for several seconds after they stop moving.







They squish and roll and can be twirled.

They smell of new plastic and feel like a bad hair day Barbie.

The fun never ends.







That is, until the free fall Jumpin' Star!


After a dinner overlooking the Ski Dubai hill, sledding trail and snowman making center, we cruised down to get a better look at the snow in the desert.  Workers in snow suits behind the glass helped little children make snow balls and snow men while the skiers went on run after run.  We stopped to pose for a photo in the giant plastic snow ball.  


Jay and I hold it steady as R and B climb in.  This is the one for photos but apparently the sledders can crawl into the real one and the workers roll you down the snowy hill, avalanche style fun.  We decided to come back and ski when our Norwegian winter gear arrives in our shipment.  Ski Dubai will supply all gear except for hats and gloves.  We'll be back!

2 comments:

  1. Hey guys!
    Its Lily. I really like your blog. i can't wait until I can see that in person! Hope you like it there as much as you like it with me,
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Its Lily again (I'mma backa ya miss me!)
    Again I love your blog. I also love orange chicken! It looks very fun their. Rosie, email me! We need to chit-chat about bussiness. Lily scores!(Mama got money in the bank) cha-ching!
    Farrwell my fellow cittizins Lila is out, PEACE!

    ReplyDelete