Saturday, August 27, 2011

I Amsterdam

Solo Trip to Amsterdam [shadows of self]


I walked through the canals
and journeyed between the row houses-
seeing myself at every turn.

As I walked around my city,
one long jaunt back through time,
I trekked
through past visits
and met
me.


I was the man with the baby
on the bicycle,
my wide-eyed grinning daughters-
with their handlebar clinging, manic laughter
ringing through my ears.


I snuck up on me at Vondelpark,
the couple in their 20's, before kids,
holding hands and strolling.


I saw my somber face emerging from the Anne Frank house,
forever changed by the empathy walk through 
the attic.


I was the drunken dancers at the concert-
my moves fluid and steady in my mind-
yet disjointed and flailing on the
dance floor. 

Wandering the ever widening spoke,
I saw me as
I priced the pharmacy-
Dads buying bandaids and
a young man with a pregnancy test in hand.


Pieces of my former lives
shined on corners like
shimmering hope reflecting
 back at me.


I studied the father explaining the art
at the Van Gogh museum,
hearing my own explanation
of brush strokes
and a tortured soul
poured onto the canvas.


On the way out of town,
training to Schiphol-
the family playing cards was
my unending Uno marathons with Rosie and Bella-
cleverly holding a last wild card,
plotting my win just before arrival.


I walked the canals
of my life-
drifting through time,
collecting the pictures
and memories.

I amsterdam

1 comment:

  1. Nice, very nicely done. Loved "I met me." Your life ain't no canal, though--it's a river to a sea!

    ReplyDelete