Monday, January 24, 2011

Dubai Marathon 10K

As part of the Dubai Marathon weekend, I ran in the 10K (6.2 miles) race along with 7,000 other runners! It was quite a site being part of the largest turnout since the race began in 2000.




The weather was perfect and quite a unique day for Dubai. It was overcast and drizzling (amazing to see rain again) and in the upper 60's as we took our place at the crowded starting line. It took me over 3 minutes to get from my spot in the line to the actual starting point. But since were all wearing small microchips on our sneakers, my official timer did not start until my feet crossed the starting line.  That's why my results were 46:12 even though the clock said 50:54 when I crossed the finish! It was the first race I had run with a computerized microchip and my position on the course could be charted by anyone online in live time. It was also the largest race I had ever run in and the first sponsored race I had run in years.

My results were pretty good, especially since the first 4K were spent weaving in and out of other runners, passing thousands of people who lined up in front of me but then ran slower than me.

All in all, it was a great morning!

1 comment:

  1. Nice job, you antelope, you. Are you still coughing up sand and whatnot?

    ReplyDelete